Mediterranean Veal Burger
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) focaccia bread (approx. 8-inch diameter)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 round slices unpeeled eggplant (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, cut into strips
- 1/3 cup prepared basil pesto
- Cut focaccia into 4 wedges; using serrated knife, cut each wedge horizontally in half. Pull out 1/4 inch soft bread crumbs from cut sides of tops of focaccia. Place in food processor, fitted with steel blade, or blender container. Cover; process into fine crumbs. Reserve 1/4 cup crumbs for burgers.
- In large bowl, combine ground veal, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with equal amounts of the 2 tablespoons pesto.
- To Grill: Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Arrange eggplant around patties. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or until centers of patties are no longer pink and eggplant is tender, turning once.
- Place focaccia, cut sides up, under broiler. Grill 1 to 2 minutes. Spread 1/3 cup pesto over cut sides of focaccia. Place equal amounts of eggplant and red peppers on bottoms of focaccia; top with burgers. Close sandwiches with focaccia tops.
Courtesy – Vealmadeeasy.com